Skip to main content

When My Menstrual Cycle Took Over My Life

At forty-two, my menstrual cycle changed. Not gradually. Not quietly. It became something I had to manage, anticipate, and plan my life around. My periods became heavy. The bleeding was intense, and blood clots became a regular part of my experience. I never knew exactly what to expect, so I learned to prepare for the worst. I carried extra menstrual products everywhere. I thought about where the nearest bathroom was. I worried about sitting too long. I worried about standing up. I worried about bleeding through my clothes. I worried about being caught somewhere without enough protection. And slowly, something else changed. My wardrobe.

I had always loved wearing colorful, vibrant clothes. But those colors began disappearing from my closet. I started choosing dark, dreary clothing not because I suddenly stopped loving color, but because I was afraid of what might happen if I bled through my clothes. Black became practical. Dark colors became protection. My clothing choices were no longer about what I wanted to wear. They were about what I could safely wear. That’s when I realized how much my period had begun to control my life.

What I was experiencing was disruptive, exhausting, and frustrating. But for a while, it was easy to tell myself that maybe this was just part of getting older. Maybe this was normal. Maybe I just had a heavy period. But this wasn’t “just a heavy cycle.” My body was trying to tell me something. And I needed to listen. Every woman’s menstrual cycle is different. Some women naturally have heavier periods than others. But there is a difference between having a heavier flow and experiencing heavy menstrual bleeding that interferes with your health, your emotional well-being, your work, your relationships, and your quality of life. 

There are warning signs we shouldn’t ignore:

  • Bleeding for more than seven days.
  • Soaking through a pad or tampon very quickly or repeatedly
  • Needing to change menstrual protection during the night
  • Passing large or frequent blood clots
  • Bleeding through your clothing or bedding
  • Feeling exhausted, weak, dizzy, or short of breath during or after your period
  • Missing work, school, social activities, or exercise because of your bleeding
  • Feeling like your period controls your daily life

I experienced many of these symptoms. The blood clots and heavy bleeding weren’t occasional inconveniences. They became a recurring part of my life. My period would come for five days, disappear for a week, and then return for another two weeks. Read that again. Five days of bleeding. One week without it. Then two more weeks of bleeding. At a minimum, I was bleeding twenty-one days out of the month. Every month. Eventually, the constant blood loss took a toll on my body. I became anemic. That’s another topic for another day.

But I share this because sometimes we normalize what we are experiencing simply because we have been experiencing it for so long. We adjust. We adapt. We carry extra supplies. We wear darker clothes. We cancel plans. We map out bathrooms. We quietly endure. And because we become so good at managing the symptoms, we may forget to ask the most important question: Why is this happening?

Small blood clots can occur during menstruation, especially on heavier-flow days. Menstrual blood can clot when it leaves the body faster than it can be broken down. But frequent or unusually large blood clots particularly when they occur alongside very heavy bleeding are worth discussing with a healthcare professional. Heavy menstrual bleeding and blood clots can sometimes be associated with conditions such as uterine fibroids, adenomyosis (an overgrowth of tissue into the muscular wall of the uterus), hormonal problems, endometriosis (an overgrowth of tissue outside of the uterus), or other gynecological conditions.

That doesn’t mean every woman who passes a blood clot has a serious medical condition. It means we shouldn’t automatically dismiss persistent, excessive bleeding as something we simply have to live with. Your period should not control your life. You shouldn’t have to plan your entire day around the possibility of bleeding through your clothes. You shouldn’t have to give up the clothes you love because you’re afraid of an accident. You shouldn’t have to miss work, skip exercise, cancel plans, or stay home because your bleeding is too unpredictable or too heavy. And you shouldn’t have to suffer in silence because someone tells you, “That’s just what happens as you get older.”

Sometimes, it isn’t. Sometimes, heavy bleeding is your body asking you to pay attention. Listen to it. Ask questions. Seek an evaluation. Advocate for yourself. Because living with something doesn’t necessarily mean it’s normal and learning to cope with a symptom doesn’t mean you have to accept it as your reality forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Parents Drive Me Crazy

A  few years ago, I created a Facebook group for children of Black and Brown parents called “Help! My Parents Drive Me Crazy.” The purpose of this group is to provide a safe, supportive space where adolescents aged 14 and up can connect, share experiences, and discover strategies for navigating adolescence, young adulthood, middle adulthood, and beyond. People from all walks of adolescence and young adulthood are welcome to join, creating a community where we can learn, grow, and support one another . This is a positive, uplifting space — no bashing is allowed. Here, we lift each other up, share our journeys, and celebrate the joys and challenges of growing up and living life as a brown child or young adult. You will find understanding, encouragement, and connection as you navigate the journey of being yourself. Discussion Topics Include: Navigating parent-child relationships Communication strategies with parents Identity, culture, and heritage Buildi...

Week 1: Before I Was Mom, I Was His

Remembering Your Identity Beyond Roles   Scripture: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.” — Isaiah 43:1   Reflection:  Before motherhood, before the sleepless nights, before the endless tasks and responsibilities, you were known. You were loved. You were God’s. Motherhood is sacred and life-changing, but it can also quietly blur our sense of self. Over time, it’s easy to measure your value by what you do; diapers changed, meals prepared, schedules kept. And while  these acts of love are meaningful, they are not the totality of who you are.   God calls you first and foremost by your name, not your role. You are His beloved daughter, fearfully and wonderfully made. This week, we begin by remembering that identity. The part of you that exists beyond caregiving, beyond tasks, beyond roles.   Wellness Insight: Wellness begins with presence and awareness. When you recognize that your worth is not ti...

Addiction: Slave To Drugs

Every day, I see a man or woman who is addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. Have you ever thought about what that person's life was like prior to being addicted to drugs and/or alcohol? So many times I often wonder what went wrong in their lives that caused them to turn to drugs and/or alcohol as a way to cope with life. Did they lose a their job? Did they lose a parent, a child or a spouse? They probably faced the same struggles we face on a daily basis. The difference is we were a little stronger to endure the storm. Maybe we had someone to hold our hand as we faced our problems. Perhaps someone to pray for us. Substance Addictions via alcoholism-and-drug-addiction-help Every morning, for almost two years I saw the same woman who was addicted to drugs. January 7, 2013 will forever stay in my mind because thats the day, I noticed she was pregnant. My heart felt for the unborn baby who would be born addicted to drugs. Months went by I saw her a few times, but she was not...