Skip to main content

Week 6: Friendship, Solitude & Spiritual Community

 

Being Known Beyond Motherhood

 

Scripture:

 

“Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.”

— Ecclesiastes 4:9–10

 

Reflection: Motherhood can quietly narrow your world. Conversations become practical. Relationships shift. Time feels scarce. Even when surrounded by people, it’s possible to feel deeply alone.

 

You may miss being known for who you are—not just for what you do or who you care for. You may long for connection and, at the same time, crave solitude because you are already so poured out.

 

God does not call us to constant togetherness or constant isolation. He invites us into rhythm—friendship that supports, solitude that restores, and spiritual community that reminds us we belong.

 

You were never meant to carry life alone.

 

Wellness Insight:

 

Emotional wellness is deeply tied to connection. Safe relationships regulate the nervous system, reduce stress, and remind us that we don’t have to stay strong all the time.

 

At the same time, solitude is not loneliness—it is necessary space to hear your own thoughts and reconnect with God. Both are essential. The goal is not more people or more time alone, but balanced connection.

 

Gentle Practice:

 

Today, do a connection check-in. Ask yourself:

  • Who helps me feel seen and safe?
  • Where do I need more support?
  • Where do I need more quiet?

Choose one small step:

  • Reach out to one trusted person
  • Spend 10 intentional minutes alone with God
  • Attend or re-engage with a spiritual community, even in a small way

Journal Prompt:

 

Where in my life do I feel most connected—and most alone?

What kind of relationship is God inviting me to nurture right now?

 

Closing Prayer:

 

God, thank You for creating me for connection. Help me find balance between friendship and solitude, and guide me toward relationships that bring life, honesty, and support. Remind me that I belong—not because of what I do, but because I am Yours. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Parents Drive Me Crazy

A  few years ago, I created a Facebook group for children of Black and Brown parents called “Help! My Parents Drive Me Crazy.” The purpose of this group is to provide a safe, supportive space where adolescents aged 14 and up can connect, share experiences, and discover strategies for navigating adolescence, young adulthood, middle adulthood, and beyond. People from all walks of adolescence and young adulthood are welcome to join, creating a community where we can learn, grow, and support one another . This is a positive, uplifting space — no bashing is allowed. Here, we lift each other up, share our journeys, and celebrate the joys and challenges of growing up and living life as a brown child or young adult. You will find understanding, encouragement, and connection as you navigate the journey of being yourself. Discussion Topics Include: Navigating parent-child relationships Communication strategies with parents Identity, culture, and heritage Buildi...

Week 1: Before I Was Mom, I Was His

Remembering Your Identity Beyond Roles   Scripture: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.” — Isaiah 43:1   Reflection:  Before motherhood, before the sleepless nights, before the endless tasks and responsibilities, you were known. You were loved. You were God’s. Motherhood is sacred and life-changing, but it can also quietly blur our sense of self. Over time, it’s easy to measure your value by what you do; diapers changed, meals prepared, schedules kept. And while  these acts of love are meaningful, they are not the totality of who you are.   God calls you first and foremost by your name, not your role. You are His beloved daughter, fearfully and wonderfully made. This week, we begin by remembering that identity. The part of you that exists beyond caregiving, beyond tasks, beyond roles.   Wellness Insight: Wellness begins with presence and awareness. When you recognize that your worth is not ti...

Addiction: Slave To Drugs

Every day, I see a man or woman who is addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. Have you ever thought about what that person's life was like prior to being addicted to drugs and/or alcohol? So many times I often wonder what went wrong in their lives that caused them to turn to drugs and/or alcohol as a way to cope with life. Did they lose a their job? Did they lose a parent, a child or a spouse? They probably faced the same struggles we face on a daily basis. The difference is we were a little stronger to endure the storm. Maybe we had someone to hold our hand as we faced our problems. Perhaps someone to pray for us. Substance Addictions via alcoholism-and-drug-addiction-help Every morning, for almost two years I saw the same woman who was addicted to drugs. January 7, 2013 will forever stay in my mind because thats the day, I noticed she was pregnant. My heart felt for the unborn baby who would be born addicted to drugs. Months went by I saw her a few times, but she was not...