Skip to main content

Yesterday, I Was.....Today, I Am.....


Yesterday, I was.....
  • A writer with no words to write 
  • An author with nothing to publish 
  • An artist with a blank canvas 
  • A singer without a song to sing 
  • A runner, with no sense of direction and going nowhere fast
  • An athlete with no game to play 
  • A teacher who has nothing to teach 
  • Guarded and afraid to love another man
  • A parent who felt unsure as I faced problem and challenges of motherhood
  • I was a prisoner of my past
  • Living in fear

Today, I am.....
  • A writer who has much to say 
  • An author who will tell her story
  • An artist who has created the vision I want for my life
  • A singer with a song in my heart and praise in my mouth. 
  • Taking the necessary steps to move my life in a more meaningful direction
  • Learning to succeed at this game called life 
  • A mother who taught her daughters to love themselves mind, body and soul
  • A mother who taught her daughters to surround themselves with positive people 
  • Vulnerable and willing to take the risk of loving again
  • Learning from my mistakes and becoming a better parent and individual
  • Forgiving myself
  • Trading my fear for faith

Today, I Am Enough!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Help! My Parents Drive Me Crazy

A  few years ago, I created a Facebook group for children of Black and Brown parents called “Help! My Parents Drive Me Crazy.” The purpose of this group is to provide a safe, supportive space where adolescents aged 14 and up can connect, share experiences, and discover strategies for navigating adolescence, young adulthood, middle adulthood, and beyond. People from all walks of adolescence and young adulthood are welcome to join, creating a community where we can learn, grow, and support one another . This is a positive, uplifting space — no bashing is allowed. Here, we lift each other up, share our journeys, and celebrate the joys and challenges of growing up and living life as a brown child or young adult. You will find understanding, encouragement, and connection as you navigate the journey of being yourself. Discussion Topics Include: Navigating parent-child relationships Communication strategies with parents Identity, culture, and heritage Buildi...

Week 1: Before I Was Mom, I Was His

Remembering Your Identity Beyond Roles   Scripture: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.” — Isaiah 43:1   Reflection:  Before motherhood, before the sleepless nights, before the endless tasks and responsibilities, you were known. You were loved. You were God’s. Motherhood is sacred and life-changing, but it can also quietly blur our sense of self. Over time, it’s easy to measure your value by what you do; diapers changed, meals prepared, schedules kept. And while  these acts of love are meaningful, they are not the totality of who you are.   God calls you first and foremost by your name, not your role. You are His beloved daughter, fearfully and wonderfully made. This week, we begin by remembering that identity. The part of you that exists beyond caregiving, beyond tasks, beyond roles.   Wellness Insight: Wellness begins with presence and awareness. When you recognize that your worth is not ti...

Addiction: Slave To Drugs

Every day, I see a man or woman who is addicted to drugs and/or alcohol. Have you ever thought about what that person's life was like prior to being addicted to drugs and/or alcohol? So many times I often wonder what went wrong in their lives that caused them to turn to drugs and/or alcohol as a way to cope with life. Did they lose a their job? Did they lose a parent, a child or a spouse? They probably faced the same struggles we face on a daily basis. The difference is we were a little stronger to endure the storm. Maybe we had someone to hold our hand as we faced our problems. Perhaps someone to pray for us. Substance Addictions via alcoholism-and-drug-addiction-help Every morning, for almost two years I saw the same woman who was addicted to drugs. January 7, 2013 will forever stay in my mind because thats the day, I noticed she was pregnant. My heart felt for the unborn baby who would be born addicted to drugs. Months went by I saw her a few times, but she was not...