A home is a stable foundation. It is a place where memories are created, laughter is shared, and life happens. It is filled with love and joy. It is a safe haven from the world, a place that provides comfort and security when everything outside its walls feels uncertain. A home should be inviting, warm, refreshing, and relaxing. It should have personality and character. It should reflect the people who live there. There should be a sense of order and balance, but perhaps more importantly, there should be a sense of acceptance.
A home should be a place where you can talk about the ups and downs of your day. It should be a place where everyone can be themselves without worrying about being criticized or judged. It should be a place where you feel safe enough to say, “This is what happened today,” or “This is how I feel,” and know that someone will listen. But what happens when you have a house, but it doesn't feel like home? That is where I find myself right now. At the moment, my apartment is not a home. It is a place where I sleep, shower, and eat. It provides shelter and the necessities of everyday life, but I don't have the positive emotional connection to it that I believe a home should provide.
For the time being, my apartment has a stable foundation. I am able to provide the necessities needed to keep my household afloat. Yet there are times when I don't feel completely comfortable or secure in my own home. I talk with my daughters about their days. I ask about what happened, what they experienced, and how they are feeling. We have conversations about the ups and downs of their lives. But I don't always talk about what happens during my day. I don't always share what I am feeling or what I am going through. Sometimes, it is easier to ask about everyone else's life than to talk about yourself.
When I look around my apartment, I see something else, a reflection of my life. My apartment doesn't have much character or personality. It isn't refreshing, relaxing, or comforting. Instead, it is cluttered, unbalanced, and, at times, completely out of control. Just like I feel. Nothing feels like it is in order. Nothing feels balanced. I feel like I have lost control. The more I look around, the more I realize that the condition of my home is connected to the condition of my life. That realization is difficult to admit. We often think that if we clean our house, organize our belongings, buy new furniture, or redecorate, we will automatically feel better.
But sometimes the clutter around us is not the real problem. Sometimes it is simply visible evidence of what is happening inside of us. You may ask, “What are you doing to change the situation?” The first thing I have to do is to acknowledge that something needs to change.
I realize that I have to identify and deal with what is going on within me before I can truly make my apartment into a home. I cannot simply rearrange furniture and expect the emotional clutter to disappear. There are things within me that need to be sorted through, just as there are things throughout my apartment that need to be sorted through. Recently, I threw away the last item I had acquired with my ex-fiancé. That may seem like a small thing to someone else, but it was significant to me. It was the last physical reminder of something that was once a part of my life. Getting rid of it felt like letting go of a piece of the past. I also purchased a new living room set.
In some ways, that purchase represents something new. It represents the possibility of creating a different environment and beginning a different chapter. It may not solve everything, but it is a start. And right now, I am learning that a start is enough. There is still one area that seems to represent everything I am struggling with my dining room table. Currently, it is being used to hold mail, books, and other things that don't belong there. It is cluttered and overwhelmed with things that have been placed there because I didn't know where else to put them.
The thought of sorting through it feels exhausting. But then I realized that it isn't really just about the dining room table. That table represents how I feel about my entire home and, in many ways, my life. The thought of sorting through my mess feels mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausting. There is so much to organize, so much to process, and so much that I have been carrying. Sometimes, leaving everything where it is feels easier than facing the overwhelming task of sorting through it all. Maybe that is why the clutter remains. It isn't necessarily because I don't care. It may be because I am tired.
Tired of thinking. Tired of feeling. Tired of trying to figure everything out. Tired of carrying things that I have not yet figured out how to put down. But perhaps I don't have to fix everything at once. Maybe creating a home starts with one small area. Maybe it starts with clearing the dining room table. Maybe it starts with throwing away one thing that no longer belongs in my life. Maybe it starts with opening the mail, putting a book back where it belongs, rearranging a room, or simply allowing myself to rest without feeling guilty. Maybe creating a home is not about achieving perfection. Maybe it is about creating a space where peace has room to exist.
I want my apartment to become more than a place where I sleep, shower, and eat. I want it to become a home that reflects who I am and who I am becoming. I want it to feel warm. I want it to feel peaceful. I want it to feel safe. I want it to feel inviting. I want it to have personality and character. I want my daughters and me to be able to create memories there. I want us to be able to sit around the table, talk about our days, laugh, cry, eat, celebrate, and simply be ourselves. I want my home to feel like a place where we belong. And maybe that is the most important part of all. A home is not created by four walls, furniture, decorations, or how clean the space looks.
Those things can certainly contribute to the environment, but a true home is created by the feelings and experiences that take place within it. Home is built through love. Through memories. Through safety. Through connection. Through acceptance. Through the freedom to be yourself. Right now, I am not completely at home in my apartment. But I am beginning to understand that doesn't mean I will never get there. Just as I am learning to sort through the physical clutter in my home, I am also learning to sort through the emotional clutter in my life. Both processes are difficult.
Both can be exhausting. And both take time. But I have already started. I let go of something from my past. I brought something new into my home. I am beginning to acknowledge what feels out of control. And I am beginning to understand that I don't have to transform everything overnight. Maybe one day, I will clear off that dining room table. Maybe I will look around and see a space that feels balanced, peaceful, and uniquely mine. Maybe I will sit down with my daughters and talk about our days not just theirs, but mine too. Maybe I will walk through my front door after a long day and feel something different. Not just relief that I have somewhere to sleep. Not just comfort because I am inside. But that unmistakable feeling of belonging.
The feeling that says, I am safe. I
am at peace. I can be myself here. I am home.

Comments
Post a Comment